- 1 Different Materials Used for Veneers
- 2 Indications for Installation
- 3 The lifespan of Zirconia Veneer
- 4 Pros and Cons of Zirconium Veneers
- 5 How Zirconia Veneers Are Installed?
- 6 How to Care for Zirconium Veneers?
Different Materials Used for Veneers
Hollywood veneers can change the shade of enamel, camouflage scratches and chips, and correct small curvatures of the dentition. Various materials can be used for manufacturing veneers which differ in the degree of strength and aesthetics and have their pros and cons.
They are made up of filling materials. They can be applied directly to tooth enamel through the direct method or indirect method.
These are thin ceramic plates with a thickness of not more than 0.5 millimeters. They have a high level of aesthetics because they are not stainable and do not grind.
These are high-strength plates with a frame made of zirconium dioxide. The thickness of zirconium veneers is around 0.3 – 0.7 mm. They usually last longer than porcelain. However, the price of zirconium veneers is much higher than composites or ceramics veneers. The most commonly used material for veneers is porcelain, as it has fairly high strength and aesthetics. However, they often break down when eating hard foods. Therefore, zirconium, considered as the white gold of dentistry, is gaining more and more popularity. This material is widely used in the manufacture of not only veneers, but also crowns. The installation of zirconium veneers and crowns allows you to restore not only the aesthetics but also the anatomical shape of the tooth. Zirconium veneers on teeth can be used even in the most difficult clinical cases. They are placed in the smile zone on 10 upper and 8 lower teeth.
Indications for Installation
Zirconium veneers help get rid of the following problems:
- The slight curvature of the teeth
- Old fillings that changed the shade
- Spots on enamel due to fluorosis
- Chips, abrasions, and cracks on the enamel
- Cracks between the teeth
- Enamel darkening
The lifespan of Zirconia Veneer
The modern CAD \ CAM technology is used to manufacture zirconium veneers. This significantly reduces the errors that the human factor can lead to. The dental technician and orthodontist are involved only in the process of adjusting veneers and correcting minor technical flaws. Zirconium is not used in its pure form for the manufacture of overlays. It serves as a platform for ceramic plates, solving the problem of their fragility. Zirconium increases the guaranteed service life of veneers by almost two times. That’s why zirconium oxide-based veneers are the most durable micro prosthesis to date.
Pros and Cons of Zirconium Veneers
Zirconium veneers are increasingly used by dentists in Dubai. They have several obvious advantages, but also some disadvantages.
- Strength and ability to withstand heavy chewing load
- Shade remains the same under various lighting, including ultraviolet
- Materials of zirconium veneers are biocompatible with human tissues. It does not cause rejection and allergies and the body perceives zirconium veneer as its tissues.
- Resistance to coloring and stain from food, including tea and coffee
- Possibility of use in complex clinical cases
- Resistance to sudden changes in temperature (protection for sensitive teeth)
The procedure takes longer because the material is difficult to fix on the surface of the tooth
Installation requires significant tooth preparation.
After installing the zirconium veneers, it will be impossible to return the teeth to their original state
The price of zirconium veneers is quite high due to the complexity of the procedure and the use of expensive equipment
How Zirconia Veneers Are Installed?
Before installing zirconium veneers on the teeth, you should discuss all the options with your doctor. The dentist will be able to advise what is most suitable for a particular patient, based on his tooth defects. Veneers serve solely to hide defects and the installation procedure has nothing to do with treatment. Therefore, the patient must necessarily treat diseases of the oral cavity, otherwise, it will be impossible to prevent the development of dental ailments as their signs and symptoms will be completely masked by overlays.
- A complete check-up of the dental cavity and if necessary, a comprehensive treatment of the disease
- Choice of shade and shape of the sheets
- Preparation of the tooth enamel for the installation of Zirconium veneers
- The patient may wear temporary composite pads before installing permanent veneer
- A three-dimensional cast, on the basis of which designs will be made
- Removal of temporary overlays, antiseptic treatment and fixation of zirconium veneer with the help of special glue
How to Care for Zirconium Veneers?
The patient should refrain from taking drinks and eating food for a couple of hours after the procedure of fixing zirconium veneers. There are no further special restrictions. The patient can have the usual diet and maintain general oral care, which includes brushing and flossing and regular visits to the dentist.